Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
vyas

Smile Games for Tablets

Are tablet games based on a different programming technology than Flash computer games that we play on the desktop or laptop? For instance, we can use actionscript to create an interface for a kiosk (touch screen).
can we do the same in the case of tablet games? Just curious to know the main differences in terms of technology/software that are used to create the same.

Can you please point me to some great resources about Mobile Device games. That would be useful.
Thanks
vyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
OffThaHorse

in the case of android and blackberry tablet (not sure about iOS) you can create applications using Flash Professional

Under publish settings you would either choose AIR for Android or AIR 2.5 (for blackberry)
for advanced functions there are a few specific libraries that can be imported that take advantage of the hardware specific features such as accelerometers and the like.
OffThaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
vyas

So does that take care of the "touch screen" as input in the case of android? I mean, we do not have to program the input for keyboard or touch.
Thanks for the prompt reply
Old 04-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
tango88
FlashByNight.com

hello Vyas,

Most of the tablet and phone game apps are built in java (*not javascript!)

You can also use HTML5 (which does use javascript).

And, yes, you can use Flash to create game apps for Android AND iOS. Famously, Flash does not work on the iOS browser, but you CAN use Flash to create iOS apps. You will need to download the latest version of Adobe AIR, too.

Once you figure it out, it's really simple to port a game from Flash to app version.

You don't need to worry about touch events, mostly. A click in the browser becomes a touch on the mobile screen.

Issues are speed and performance. I just can't get the same performance on either my HTC Desire or my Samsung 10.1 tab as I can get in a desktop browser for a flash game.

Also, concept-wise, it's much harder to create a decent tab or phone game. The screen size and lack of physical controls are extremely limiting.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
vyas

Hi,
I appreciate for the elaborate response. Can you explain the gaps or shortcomings of tab games. For instance, are 3D games as effective as 2D games. How about player preference? Can we classify the types of players for tab games, apart from age group, gender or novice v/s expert. What new behaviour or motor skills are required? Thanks in advance
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
OffThaHorse

really like tango said the only limitation is screen size and hardware capabilities. If all youre player preferences are programmed into the game itself and not hardware dependent, then itll work perfectly on a tablet as long as that tablet supports AIR (most available today do).

all "normal" keypresses work in a tablet the way they would work on a PC. (for example, alt or control or shift may not work properly unless youre dealing with text input)

One thing to keep in mind for android is that even the tablets have multiple screen sizes available. for that reason youd have to find which tablets youre targeting, keep a record of the available screen resolution, and possibly make multiple versions available for multiple screens. otherwise youd end up with scaling issues.

good luck!
OffThaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
vyas

Smile

Hi again,
Is there a taxonomy of tab players defined so far (unlike novice vs expert player category)?

Is there a taxonomy or category of games genre for the tablets or mobile devices?

Thank you
Old 04-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
tango88
FlashByNight.com

Hello Vyas,

To answer an earlier question: if you're looking at 3D games, you might want to try the Unity engine.

I don't know about a taxonomy of games (that sounds so formal). But in my opinion, what people WANT is casual games and puzzle games. Games where you just tap a couple of times to play. The golden example is Angry Birds and another good example is Canabalt.

If you can invent a casual game, which is unique and addictive and just requires a couple of screen taps to play, then potentially you can make a fortune. Of course, if it was so easy, I'd already have done it, lol.

I often sneakily observe people playing games on their phone/tab when I see them, and the adults are always playing physics/puzzle/casual games. Occasionally I see kids playing more arcade-style games.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
vyas

Hello,
What is the trend of Flash games? Are Flash games still popular nowadays, given the fact that the trend is more towards mobile gaming (apps)? So I understand that Flash games can be played in Android and Blackberry. Is that correct?
Thank you again
Old 11-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
vyas

Hello,
Are iPad (mac) games coding based on Java? I understand that we can use actionscript to create android games.
Thank you

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: