Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 06-26-2003, 12:11 PM   #491
subquark
yep, it's martini time!

oh don't listen toi that CyanBlue, I love your site! minimal, minimal and more minimal. hello, absconditus means . . .

actually, I have found an old manuscript that says absconditus is the condition one experiences when no olives can be found for your martini!!!!

actually again, CyanBlue hit on some same issues I had. I was confused (so what else is new?) about the navigation and iot took me a minute to find the scroller. But it works well!

Oh, Jakob Nielsen just came in and said your site needs to be "bytcode optimized" . . .
Old 06-26-2003, 01:31 PM   #492
retrotron
thinking is design

So, here's a provisional take on the flashvacuum idea I had. The only menu item that works is the first item on the first menu:

the_vacuum > about (v)

I'm not sure how I want to do the menus, so they're just kind of "there" right now, just kind of filled up some menus with some generic categories.

The "logo" I was thinking of is the little green thing on the guy's eye.

Anyways, let me know if you think it sucks, if it's cool, if it's not what you're looking for, etc.

http://www.cfhosting.it/jt/extras/fl...template2.html

I'll email you the .fla if you want.
retrotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:06 PM   #493
subquark
yep, it's martini time!

not too bad, your ranting is bad however!

600X400, lets go at least 800X500 (I know it's just a mockup, but I am not as resourceful on the rantings, yet, gotta warm up . . .)

the statue creeps me out I need a hug . . .)

i really like the look, the definition is well placed and extremely well written. but (i hate that word, negates everything) i'm not sure that I want to open it up to everybody at this early stage.

almost shaping up to be a "playground" for me and CyanBlue and a place to learn new things (more flash remoting). i do however like the idea of being a repository of independant artists with links to their full sites. plus our three offshoots (jt.flashvacuum.com, et cetera) for our own musings and wacky experiments (well, since I don't code worth a flip, maybe I'll just have an omnipedia of martini trivia and recipes ).

but (oh oh) i'd like to go in the direction, eventually, you suggested earlier Retrotron on being a "real" design house (no more freebies!) and truly pursuing real projects and using our stable (as CyanBlue indicated way back with the farm concept) of freelancers as needed.

so the main thrust would still be the three of us (and yes, you in your temporary emeritus status, don't fret, no expectations, oh but we need to work on that baby . . . how cute are you? me? well, let's just say that it's good that you can turn off the lights in the bedroom!!! ).

so a certain hierarchy needs to be established and that will probably be within the roles that I and CyanBlue will take (not excluding you, but not wanting to put you in an akward spot, studies first, remember your cigar is safe in the humidor as long as CyanBlue stays in the basement and codes like crazy; hey! he is like the Hulk! a mild mannered guy by day and a CodeBeast by night! So Retrotron, here's our new plan: we keep CyanBlue in the basement and blackout the windows and tell him it's still a quarter to one in the morning, if this works, maybe there will be a few extra cigars in the humidor . . .)

Okay, back on task: your site mockup is awesome!!! What do you think CyanBlue? A little easing on the menu, a bit of momentum on the scrolling . . .

I hope I did not step on your toes or was too rough, my motives are as pure as the driven snow and as pure as the vodka in my martini!
Old 06-26-2003, 02:10 PM   #494
retrotron
thinking is design

Yeah, definitely some easing on the menu, and the scrolling should be so you hold it down and it scrolls, we shouldn't have to click for each scroll.

And the menu items can all be changed to whatever you want, limit it to the design firm, definitely.

Ha ha, the statue . . . we can't keep it, cuz it's somebody else's photo, but I could sculpt a copy and take a photo if you want to keep it.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:19 PM   #495
subquark
yep, it's martini time!

you know, it takes me like 10 minutes to type that much (2 fingers and all), so you could be a little slower to answer!!!

the V is really awesome. Where is CyanBlue (shh, maybe he's in the basement)?

the only problem with it as a design firm, is that you are going to have a Ph.D. and we are only measly Masters (right CyanBlue?).

I use a lot of parentheses! I guess I sort of think in french and my sentences are backward (should be: My sentences are backward because I think in french. Now that's American!!!)

so are you okay with this? I have learned that you are sensitive (I am very sensitive, thus the gruff exterior, my dad died when I was 23 in my final undergrad semester, and my mom has not contacted me in the last 10 years . . . ) oh boohoo!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 02:30 PM   #496
retrotron
thinking is design

Ah man, that's really rough. I don't think I have any idea how to understand what that would be like.

I'm not too sensitive, as long as it's not plain old mean . . . I take constructive criticism really well, love it, actually.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:44 PM   #497
subquark
yep, it's martini time!

rough?!?! nah, I didn't tell you that my father took his own life and that my mom did not come down from Canada to help me deal with it! The engraved invitations for the pity party will be sent soon. Can I use your W. Cornelia address?

So sad, too bad.

On a more positive note: my wife likes the creepy statue thing and she has a better eye than I! Aye Captain!

I really, REALLY like the logo!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 02:53 PM   #498
retrotron
thinking is design

Wow, does it get any worse? Man....man.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:01 PM   #499
subquark
yep, it's martini time!

well throw in a little abuse (the reason for his taking his life) and a Catholic upbringing . . . thank God it all happened 16 years ago.

so anyway, where is CyanBlue?

I sent him an email with your link. It looks great!!!!

CyanBlue is putting it in gear for a host. So it will be moved soon. CyanBlue also did an AWESOME job making a PHP powered survey form at www.rockagainstsuicide.com. Check it out.

I'm going to bed, take no pity upon me. I'm okay! Well, maybe a bit screwed up but that's what martini's are made for! Really, I'm not a lush, but I do have a few drinks a week and some wine.

Let's all join AA together (ActionScripters Anonymous)!
Old 06-26-2003, 03:09 PM   #500
CyanBlue
Super Moderator

Um... Is it morning already???

So... Are we going for the sort of application look??? Maybe we could create another site that has its own OS on it...

Hm... That statue... I thought that is retrotron's own image... Yeah... It was kinda creepy not because of the statue itself, but because of the logo being in the position of the eye... Know what I mean??? Maybe if you put it around the chin, it will not make me cold...

I think it will be better if we could utilize abit bigger size for the stage and the text font as subquark already mentioned...

Nice job, retrotron...

Go have a glass of martini and get some sleep subquark...
http://tutorials.FlashVacuum.com

Do NOT PM, Email or Call me... Your question belongs right in this forum...
CyanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: