Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > Community Boards > General Chat

Old 06-06-2003, 03:24 AM   #1
Rupert

Default Hey! Don't touch my stuff!

Just have to share this with you :
I recently built a bunch of flash templates for a particular company. The idea was that this companies team of monkeys could then get in and make lots and lots of little files from the templates.

I used plenty of smartclips and modular coding to make them easy to update - I even wrote a multi page complete eediots step-by-step guide on how to use them. I commented all my code, clearly marking the couple of things that need to be altered but also the important things that need to be "LEFT ALONE". I was even a good boy and cleaned up the library. I demo'd the templates to them and sat with the head monkey while they built some of them. everything worked, everybody was happy.

<two weeks later>

I get a call saying "they aren't working anymore". Uh oh. I get the template files back and after some searching around find that:
- because they couldn't find where a bunch of library objects (that I happened to be loading dynamically) were used in the timeline - they deleted them all.
- they had deleted most but not all of my commented code so that certain comment lines now begin with / and * instead of // so whole chunks of code were being ignored or generating new errors.

...but the one mistake that I just finished 14 hours of searching for (no joke) turns out to be that they had (for no humanly known reason) gone into my smartclips and deleted the second frame - it was a simple highlight around a speech bubble while a sound was playing but because it was SO simple a little thing I didn't find it until now.

So here I sit shaking my fist at the sky and wondering what I could have possibly done to save these people from themselves.

Un believable.

Just thought I'd share that with you.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 05:08 AM   #2
zoomfreddy
anything...are you sure?

been there too!!, the only real solution is...kill the monkeys!!!, not, seriously, charge them again for the damage control, the boss will realize that is cheaper to let the profesional (in this case, you) do the work, or tell the boss to pay their team a course, this will lead to the first step too.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:22 AM   #3
linckx
indeed

don't shoot me if this is a wrong question, but hadn't you back-upped all that stuff? than it's a simple matter of telling those idiots 'here's the file again, I can't do all of the input, you need to...'

they'll have to understand...

robin
linckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:46 AM   #4
Rupert

You are absolutely right. In my left hand I hold another CD for them, in my right another invoice... for wasting my time!

I had first to establish what the hell they'd done - once I found they'd been 'tinkering under the hood' and had changed some things they shouldn't have touched - its pretty simple to go back tell 'em whats what.

Cheers,
Rupert
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: