Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > Flash General Questions > Other Flash General Questions

Old 07-18-2003, 08:15 AM   #1
Bloom22
Flash Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Bloom22
Post Developing a flash site, Part1: Some thoughts

Well, I actually won't formulate any questions in this thread, I just want write down some thoughts, critics and suggestions for developing a flash site.

Also I'm a flash newcomer i've seen many flash sites and concepts. I traveled through many navigation systems, animations and content and I just want to write down some thoughts that might help you to find your own personal style and concept of developing your flash presence.

The concept behind your website

When writing a flash site we always should think about why we devlope it and especially for what we develop it. I entered many sites where I couldn't figure out why they did actually exist. I saw a hugh variety of animation and special effects without any clue what they were made for. Surely, we want to impress our visitors, we want to express our flash skills. Well, that's o.k., that's not the point I'm talking about. I mean the general fact, that many flash sites do not communicate with their visitors.

How a visitor watches your website

Maybe that's the way a new surfer (maybe internet newbie)would experience a flash site:

When I visit a flash site, I know nothing about it. I"m entering and then I'm waiting for information that helps me to understand the structure of this website so that I can navigate through it. After I have entered a flash site, I need some kind of instructions or information or something that tells me what to do or what to wait for. I'm feeling very confused when nothing happens or when I can't do anyhing.

It's important to lead your visitor through your content. Try to eliminate any confusion your visitor may have. Tell him what will happen, tell what he has to do or what he has to wait for.Explain him how to navigate and where these options are on your website. I personally hate it to search for navigation menus. Sometimes it happened that I spent several minutes to find the navigation system on a flash site.

The Intro - a way to establish structure on your flash site

Many designers use the intro to describe the reasons why their website exists. I think that's a good way for starting communication with the visitor. Intro means introduction and introduction means to describe the visitor the identity of the flash site. When we introduce ourselves, we inform someone about us. Many intros fail this aspect of information. There's much motion and special effects, blinking and flashing, but their's no information provided to the surfer by words or sentences. We could say that words and sentences describe information and animation describes the gesture which comes along with it. To much gesture (motion) destroys the aspect of information and to much information without motion is not very attractiv. Many designers just use catchwords in their introduction like "webdesign" or "flash development" or something like that. I think that's just to general, because their are just to many websites providing "webdesign" and "flash development".

The ways to make a flash site unique

When creating a flash site we should have an eye on it's individuality. A website can also be seen as a person communicating with the visitor. The more this person or website expresses indviduality, the more the visitor is interested in it.

A flash site uses 3 main aspects to express individualityB]

attraction, communication, interaction

attraction
(graphics, design layout,), communication (words, sentences, messages, hints, content) combined with animation (gesture, character) and emotion (sound, music), interaction (navigation, interactivity, music, downloads, links etc.).

I will write more soon. Hopefully I could help someone a little bit for now.

P.S.: Please respond if this thread is useful and intresting to you.

Last edited by Bloom22; 07-21-2003 at 05:58 AM.
Bloom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:43 AM   #2
pixelwit
village halfwit

Default Useful and Interesting

Sounds like some pretty solid advice. It will be interesting to hear more thoughts from someone with a film background.

-PiXELWiT
http://www.pixelwit.com
Old 07-20-2003, 05:26 AM   #3
farafiro
Addicted To FLASH

Send a message via MSN to farafiro Send a message via Yahoo to farafiro

thx Bloom22
very usefull
anymore??
_____________________________________________GHANDI
farafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 05:44 AM   #4
Bloom22
Flash Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Bloom22

Thanks for the feedback, pixelwit and farafiro
Bloom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:37 AM   #5
tommydamnit

Default interactivity

helo
i am thomas from french
i have worked in movies for 8 years
i know pretty well the cinematography langage
but i am also interested in flash mx
so , for a thesis , i am looking for information about interactivity in flash
what it's interactivity what it's not?
what kind of tools can i use for interactivity?
i am looking for theory on the subject too but also tutorials and examples of sites
so if you can respond me
thanks you very much
best regards
thomas
tommydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:55 PM   #6
teebee

Default Re: Developing a flash site, Part1: Some thoughts

@bloom22

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloom22
[The concept behind your website

When writing a flash site we always should think about why we devlope it and especially for what we develop it. I entered many sites where I couldn't figure out why they did actually exist. I saw a hugh variety of animation and special effects without any clue what they were made for. Surely, we want to impress our visitors, we want to express our flash skills. Well, that's o.k., that's not the point I'm talking about. I mean the general fact, that many flash sites do not communicate with their visitors.
one of the links u posted (www.bauer.de) fail that aim, if bauer corp. works for clients and THEIR goals... but anyway good thoughts in general.

like every theory it depends on...

greets teebee
teebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:10 AM   #7
Designer Scott
Designer Scott

Agreed.
Basically I approach site design just the same as I would an invitation (my forte of design). When someone opens an envelope all they know about what's inside is a gut feeling (based on things like the texture and color of the envelope, and how their address is typed.) this is where things like a simple intro and nice preloader come into play. After that, it's all about communicating a story in a concise manner. (AKA not overloading them with information) I usually treat it like a dialogue...
If I told you that there was this awesome party you wouldn't jump straight to what you should wear, what you should bring, who else is invited etc.
You would probably start with when is it... and then you would ask where is it. and then you would ask a whole list of questions in sequence.
With site design, you should have a clear idea of the ?path? that people want to take to get to specific information, and let them take it.
I know I just repeated you Bloom, but I think it helps to hear things from more than one person in an attempt to affirm the validity of an opinion.Great mini article.
Designer Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: