Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 07-29-2003, 02:06 PM   #1
stealthelephant
The Thread Collector

Send a message via AIM to stealthelephant Send a message via MSN to stealthelephant
Default letter fading

how do i fade text in a dynamic text field? i attach code to fade it, the text box fades but not the text inside it, is there a way to do it?
stealthelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
JGizmo
Flash slave

I find this code which can help you in search of the matrix
ActionScript Code:
/***Author: Ilyas USAL (pom)     Title: The Matrix has you...     Date: 06/06/2003 ***/ // To make it run smoother _quality = "MEDIUM"; /*** Functions ***/ // fade out and stop when _alpha inferior to 35 - no parameters function fadeOut(){     this._alpha -= 5;     if (this._alpha < 45) delete this.onEnterFrame; } // fade out and remove clip when _alpha inferior to 10 - no parameters function fadeToBlack(){     this._alpha -= 5;     if (this._alpha < 10){         delete this.onEnterFrame;         this.removeMovieClip();     } } // Create a new clip with a letter in it // x: _x position ; y: _y position ; size: size of the letter MovieClip.prototype.createLetter = function (x,y,size){     // Create and position the new clip     var mc = this.createEmptyMovieClip("letter"+this.dep,this.dep++);     mc._x = x;     mc._y = y;     // Create a new TextField in the clip     mc.createTextField("t",0,0,0,size,size);     // Choose a random letter     var myChar = Math.round(Math.random()*87)+36;     mc.t.text = chr(myChar);     // Create the TextFormat, format the text and embed the font     var tf = new TextFormat();     tf.size = size;     tf.font = "Courier New";     tf.selectable = false;     tf.color = "0x00ff00";     mc.t.setTextFormat(tf);     mc.t.embedFonts = true;     // Fade the letter until its _alpha = 35     mc.onEnterFrame = fadeOut; } // Create a trail of letters function createTrail(){     // Create new clip and position it randomly     var clip = this.createEmptyMovieClip("trail"+i,i++);     clip._x = Math.round(random(Stage.width)/10)*10;     clip._y = clip.y = -10;     // Choose a random size for the letters, and set the spacing     var size = random(10)+15;     clip.spacing = size + 2;     // onEnterFrame, create a new letter that will wade out.     // if we're at the bottom of the screen, fade out the whole trail     clip.onEnterFrame = function(){         this.y += this.spacing;         this.createLetter(0,this.y,size);         if (this.y > Stage.height) this.onEnterFrame = fadeToBlack;     } } // Create a new trail every 100 milliseconds setInterval(this,"createTrail",100);
Key is: fading the movieclip which contains the textfield not the text itself.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
stealthelephant
The Thread Collector

Send a message via AIM to stealthelephant Send a message via MSN to stealthelephant

i'm a dumbass, i was thinking about something else and talking about another

i think i will stay with my own, kinda far into it at the moment, hope it doesnt run to heavily on the cpu though

thanx for the code though, i will look at it anyways
stealthelephant is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: