Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 08-01-2003, 06:57 PM   #1
AudryLucy

Default Issues uploading Flash site to web

Hi,
I'm Having a REALLY CRUDDY day, how 'bout you?
We are having a problem uploading our Flash Site. It works on our in-house network server. We have downloaded the whole site onto a floppy disk and it runs fine from that disk. I've tested the site NUMEROUS times durring production and it has always worked (on our in-house server).... Yet It does not work on the web, you can see what I'm talking about if you visit this address:
http://www.internetaesthetics.com/test/homepage.html

WHAT THE HECK?! You can hit refresh, and on some machines, it will come up, yet not everything functions....Its so wierd. Has anyone else had a situation like this? We are using a php back end in our site, though I thought if it was going to give us trouble it would occur within the swf file it is refferenced in.....The whole site is crapping out.

I'm using A.S. that I have used in other Flash Movies that work fine on both PCs and Macs. All of the files are in the same folder on the server. I've tried getting rid of actionscript that I thought might make it function improperly, it didn't change a thing. I am using dynamic jpgs, I don't think that would cause any problems. Although sometimes they don't load. Each page has a section above the text that is suposed to fade the clips that hold the dynamic jpgs...at times its totally absent, and sometimes it pops in instead of fading....And then, sometimes, if you hit refresh, its works!

Please help....
AudryLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:10 PM   #2
pellepiano

I just get a sort of frame.
If you target the files separately , do they load in the browser? Are you loading separate swf files? _levels or movieclips? Whats your loading code? What part does php play?
All files in the same folder, even the html?

Jpg's have to be nonprogressive.
I sometimes make the mistake of uploading my swf files as text.
pellepiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 09:21 PM   #3
AudryLucy

Hi, thanks for responding.

I'm working on this with my production manager. She uploaded the swf files as images, not text. The PHP is used in the portfolio sub page to load images of web sites and corresponding details. Do you think a mistake in that php file could effect the entire site? All the files are in the same folder, including the HTML files. I'm refferncing the files using _root. not levels, I've not had an issue in the past with this method, but who knows....it may be the issue now. The site is made up of swf files that are loaded when via corresponding button with an "on(press){" action.
Yep, what you are seeing when you visit my link, is a frame...its the frame of the site, none of my swfs are loading up within the frame.

Ummm, lets see, what else can I tell you about the issue...I've tried to upoad and test individual files, not all of them yet, so far the ones I tested do work on their own.

I was racking my brain earlier trying to find a reason why I'm having this problem when I thought of this as a possible issue: I have an "include#" command that loads action script via an external file with an "as" extention. Is it possible that the A.S. in this external file, might be interferring with A.S. that has similar function names that exist on several key frame within several swf files? I'm not at work anymore, other wise I'd be testing this theory by taking one of the swfs and removing one of the two versions of the script, and uploading it to see if it was the culprit. I will be testing that at work on Monday. Do you think this may cause issues? I haven't used "include#..." before. Retrotron was nice enough to create the file and provided a zip file in this forum...Its a fade script that works great on its own...looks great too. It may not be the issue at all, but at this point, I'm willing to look at everything.

Any ideas? Thanks again for your help
Old 08-01-2003, 09:29 PM   #4
AudryLucy

I forgot to ask you...what do you mean when you say that the dynamic jpgs have to be nonprogressive?

They are plain dynamic jpgs that load in to a movie clip within a movie clip (so I can apply a fade effect to the root movie clip). I was told, and its very true, that you have to nest the jpg into two mc in order to apply effects to it that work properly.

So, would this quailfy as nonprogressive, and if not, would it create the problems I've experienced thus far? As I said earlier, sometimes the jps are loaded into place and are functional, and sometimes they aren't....the refresh button sometimes loads them...very strange.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:34 AM   #5
pellepiano

Progressive is a option, you have in the image editor ( like Photoshop ) when you save the jpg. A progressive jpg will display while its being loaded, little by little and only works directly in a browser.

I meant are you loading external swf's into _levels or target movieclips? And what load action do you use? ( as I only see the simple framework in the swf now ).

A jpg can be loaded into a movieclip and have alpha fades without being nested .
Old 08-04-2003, 10:55 AM   #6
AudryLucy

Quote:
Originally posted by pellepiano
Progressive is a option, you have in the image editor ( like Photoshop ) when you save the jpg. A progressive jpg will display while its being loaded, little by little and only works directly in a browser.

I meant are you loading external swf's into _levels or target movieclips? And what load action do you use? ( as I only see the simple framework in the swf now ).

A jpg can be loaded into a movieclip and have alpha fades without being nested .
The "dynamic jpgs" are nonprogressive. I'm loading the swf files into movie clips, not levels. And the load action looks like this:

ActionScript Code:
_root.homeBackg_mc.loadMovie("homebackgrnd.swf");

I'm going to try testing several of the swfs online, independent of the whole site, as you suggested, to see where the trouble is.

Thanks again for helping me trouble shoot.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:11 PM   #7
pellepiano

It loads now, at least the Portfolio section and Portfolio.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:45 PM   #8
AudryLucy

Hi,
Yes, I'm working on it as we speak...It Seems the dynamic jpgs were conflicting with one another. Each swf contains two that load, one atop the other...I've removed one in each swf and the ones remaining load fine. I think it was a level issue, not quite sure...its odd how it worked when I tested it on our in house net work server, but not on the web.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:30 PM   #9
wannaBgeek

Default sounds familiar

We are having similar issues with a swf that has dynamically loaded JPEGs. We don't have trouble with any of the 65+ images in the swf except the intro image that is supposed to fade in when the movie initially is loading. If you refresh, or if the image is the cache, there's no problem. Otherwise, the image never shows or the fade in never happens.

Oddly enough, it's only on Macs and seems to be limited to IE. Like you, we have no problems when the site is viewed locally.

Audry, when you say "the dynamic jpgs were conflicting with one another," what exactly do you mean?
wannaBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 04:33 PM   #10
AudryLucy

Default Re: sounds familiar

Quote:
Originally posted by wannaBgeek
We are having similar issues with a swf that has dynamically loaded JPEGs. We don't have trouble with any of the 65+ images in the swf except the intro image that is supposed to fade in when the movie initially is loading. If you refresh, or if the image is the cache, there's no problem. Otherwise, the image never shows or the fade in never happens.

Oddly enough, it's only on Macs and seems to be limited to IE. Like you, we have no problems when the site is viewed locally.

Audry, when you say "the dynamic jpgs were conflicting with one another," what exactly do you mean?
Hi,
I'm sorry that your having this problem, I understand your frustration...although I have to admit I'm a little relieved that I'm not alone... I thought I was loosing it!
Maybe I can help you a little. I've found that the fade does work, but its not working on our DYNAMIC jpgs. It might have to do with the dynamic jpg needing to be preloaded properly. I found this tutorial on preloading external files if you want to check it out, I haven't had a chance to try it yet...maybe you can:
http://www.flashguru.co.uk/000044.php

We work on Macs and our in-house net work server is a Mac, the fade works on them, but again, not on the web...I don't believe its a Mac issue. We had problems across the board. PCs, Macs, IE, Netscape, it didn't matter what platform or browser we tested it on...it just didn't work.

We ended up removing the fade, and we're thinking about using a different effect. Once I removed the fade, the site worked.

The "conflicting jpg" statement, in my last post, was only a guess...I'm not sure if that was the actual problem (the weird site "not loading" issue). When I removed one of the jpgs, the one above it faded, but it did the opposite of what it was supposed to do, it faded out, not in...

We were using two dynamic jpgs, each loaded into their own host clip that was in turn nested in another movie clip. I would try to explain the effect, but its can be confusing, so I'll keep it short...

One of the jpgs was blurred and the other was clear (an effect created in Macromedia Fireworks when the jpg was created)...it was an attempt to create a "focusing effect". The _mc above faded in and then out, revealing the clearer image below.

At the time I said I thought they were "conflicting" I was talking about the levels they were on...My dynamic jpgs were on the same level. I thought if they were in movie clips I wouldn't have to load in levels..

Try telling yours to load on a level (_level0, _level1, _level2) and see if its displayed online properly.

Also, try removing the fade effect and see if the situation improves...The only thing I can suggest is a work around, if your design allows for it (ours didn't)....You might try fading a mask out over your jpg (to make your jpg look as though it is fading in). I wish I could offer you something more. Let me know if you have found a better solution. Good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: