Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 08-29-2003, 10:43 PM   #1
zone22

Lightbulb XML Editor?

Hi does anybody know how to make a flash movie that can online edit the xml files and also save it again on your website ?
zone22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 07:03 AM   #2
snapple

zone22,

You edit XML files by using:
ActionScript Code:
var keepCount = _root.XMLmenu.myXMLdoc.firstChild.childNodes.length;          myNewDoc = _root.XMLmenu.myXMLdoc;                                 //define the node and NAME that node, in this case, USER_SITE, SITE_COMMENT, DATE - if you've used the example you'll see what i mean.         newNode = myNewDoc.createElement("USER_SITE");                                 //again here (i had three pieces of info)         newNodeTwo = myNewDoc.createElement("SITE_COMMENT");                                 //and here          newNodeThree = myNewDoc.createElement("DATE");                                 //here we actually fill in our newly created node with text, as you can see the end name is an input text field eg. comment, date         newtext = myNewDoc.createTextNode(_root.XMLmenu.control.comment);         newTextTwo = myNewDoc.createTextNode(_root.XMLmenu.control.date);                                 //decide where your going to put your node using append child         myNewDoc.firstChild.appendChild(newNode);         myNewDoc.firstChild.childNodes[keepCount].appendChild(newNodeTwo);         myNewDoc.firstChild.childNodes[keepCount].appendChild(newNodeThree);         myNewDoc.firstChild.childNodes[keepCount].childNodes[0].appendChild(newText);         myNewDoc.firstChild.childNodes[keepCount].childNodes[1].appendChild(newTextTwo);         myNewDoc.firstChild.childNodes[keepCount].attributes.url = _root.XMLmenu.control.address; //these are just funtion i call to create the menu         _root.XMLmenu.createURLClip();         _root.XMLmenu.createDateClip();         _root.XMLmenu.listURL(myNewDoc);         _root.XMLmenu.listDate(myNewDoc);

This was the code (not optimised), i used for exactly the purpose you want, you can see it here:

http://www.uzi-lover.com/xml

But if youtry it out you will very soon realise that it does not perminantly update the XML doc, i think that this is only do-able with the combination of php and xml (one i'm working on now).

Unless i have a massive gap in my XML knowledge, either that or just built that fla wrong, lol

Kirupa, has a good tutorial on editing XML files in flash, also AS the definitive guide has a good reference section. But look on kirupa !!!

Basically use:

ActionScript Code:
createElement appendChild createTextNode appendChild

This is the link you want:

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/acti...e_edit_xml.htm

snapple

Last edited by snapple; 08-30-2003 at 07:16 AM.
snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 08:06 AM   #3
zone22

Thumbs up

HEy thnx this helps alot
zone22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 09:55 AM   #4
snapple

Not a problem
snapple is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: