Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 09-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #1
sean416

Default Font/symbol display problems

I'm using Flash 5and I'm pretty new to Flash and fonts in general. My site appears exactly as I want it to in Flash, but when I preview or publish, the text on my buttons disappears and a few of the buttons don't show up at all. Here's why I think it's happening:

1) There's a problem with my symbols. Maybe they aren't set up right in some way. Sorry I can't be more specific.

2) There's a problem with the text. The font I'm trying to use gives me problems in Illustrator - it says it can't be embedded and that it's protected or something. I'd rather not have to change the font, so if I don't have to I'd love to know how to avoid doing so.

3) I'm using scenes because I don't know anything about the alternative. It seems this is not the way to go based on what I'm reading in the forums.

I've searched the forums for help on this, but haven't found any answers. I would sincerely appreciate a couple tips!

Thanks very much,

Sean
sean416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 04:06 PM   #2
sendres

Send a message via AIM to sendres Send a message via Yahoo to sendres

From your description it's a bit difficult to identify all that's going wrong here. For starters, are you using only static text or do you have dynamic text fields? How have you embedded your fonts? If you change the font to something standard like _sans, does the problem still occur?

You might want to post your .fla file so we can see what's going on.
sendres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 02:04 AM   #3
sean416

The .fla is over 3 megs zipped, so I can't post it (wish I could). How do you embed fonts? What does that do? And it's static text, not dynamic.

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Changing to any of the fonts with an '_' ahead of them seems to work. Still the text and the button it sits on seem to follow totally different schemes for 'over', 'hit' and 'down' depending on which one you're rolling over. How can I avoid this? I think I messed up the buttons somehow..

Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2003, 09:42 AM   #4
sendres

Let's start with embedding the fonts. Here's a concurrent thread where I helped a guy with font embedding that should get you started...
Old 09-19-2003, 10:16 AM   #5
sean416

When I try to do that, I get an error message that says that an 'outline font' cannot be found. If it helps, I'm using a font called 'Chinese Rocks', and I have had problems with it in Illustrator as well. Is this font simply not meant to be on my site?? Thanks very much.

Also, is there a new guy's tutorial anywhere, that would expand on what you can read in the manual, but not go too far above the basics? I've done all the lessons, but I still feel I need to learn a ton.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:40 AM   #6
sendres

Hmmm. I just downloaded Chinese Rocks from MyFonts.com, installed it, and tried it. I had the same error. (I'm sure that's reassuring, at least to know it's not something you did!)

I'm on PC running Flash MX. What are you running?

I'll see if I can figure anything else for you to do.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:44 AM   #7
sean416

I have a PC with Flash 5 (I'll upgrade ASAP, but I'm not exactly a pro yet).

I think it may also be something to do with my buttons - can you imagine why I would get different colours (for the various states) versus what I thought I had set up in Edit mode? It seems like somehow I'm changing the colours without realizing it or something. Just want to know if this sounds like a familiar problem to you.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:50 AM   #8
sendres

Okay, even though I got the same error that you did, my .swf actually did export correctly. I just checked it on another computer that I don't have Chinese Rocks installed on and it plays back fine.

The only reference I have found so far to this error is on Macromedia's web site. They refer to it being an erroneous message on Macs. See the bottom of this page:

Are your button text fields static or dynamic text?
Old 09-19-2003, 03:54 PM   #9
sean416

They're static. I'm on my out at the moment but I'll check that link ASAP.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: