Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > ActionScript Forums Group > ActionScript 1.0 (and below)

Old 03-27-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
c2kman

Send a message via AIM to c2kman
Default Gradient Mask Away Dynamic Text with Scroll

Ok so basically I would like to have a dynamic text box that loads text in from a notepade file. Then I want it to be scrollable with arrows and the actual bar. Then when it is supposed to disappear from scrolling, I would like it to fade away like with a gradient mask or just alpha. Anyone ever done this?

I know how to load the txt file, I know how to make it scroll with arrows. Now I just need help with the bar and the fade away.

Thanks

Brian
c2kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
Vman
back from the dead

Well for the bar, and I'm assuming you're talking about a drag bar, I attached a tutorial that Billy T. did that helped me out. I can't answer the other question, but I think it's probably somewhat more involved. I think you'll have to stick with using an alpha effect as opposed to a mask. Masking and dynamic text don't get along so well.

Is this the effect you're looking for for the text? (scroll the pictures)http://www.networkshadow.co.uk/page.htm

A member named Marcus (i think) did this site, but if I remember right, he wasn't willing to share the code. I'd like to know how to do it too!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Billy_T-Easing_Text_Scroller-571.zip (3.4 KB, 275 views)
Old 03-28-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
Vman
back from the dead

Actually, you know what, I'm gonna figure this one out myself. I'll get back with you in a week or so. Unless someone else decides to help. Now that I'm thinking about it, it wasn't the fading script he wouldn't share, it was the arrow at the top of the page that changes the fading area. This might not be that hard afterall.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:17 PM   #4
c2kman

Send a message via AIM to c2kman

Yes I do want a drag bar, but I want it to like expand when there is less text to be shown or decrease in size when there is more like the microsoft one does. Do you know how to do this? I guess I could use a componet.
c2kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
Vman
back from the dead

Sure, you can do that by having the drag bar's ._height change in relation to the text box's ._height. I'll try to give you an example later if I can fiure it out. Everything you're asking is stuff I've never done, so it'll be a learning experience for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: