Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 08-02-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
cool.Marty

Default My Turn - Portfolio Site

Ok, so i thought i'd jump on the bandwagon and post my portfiolio site here. Although, the portfolio is rather bare, as i'm still working on the content.

But i'd like to get some comments on what you like and dislike, and etc.

The website is:

Brainstorm Project.com
cool.Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:17 AM   #2
Cota
Super Moderator

I really like the graphics on the splash screen. As for the rest of the site, its kind of bland. The splash screen image sets the bar and the site doesnt make it there. Of course, I'm just talking about the look and feel of the site. There were no problems with the functionality of the site. I'd suggest using similar graphics for the site.

cota - www.chadworkman.com | http://shavedplatypus.com
occupation: designer | flash developer | server-side developer (php, asp, mssql, mysql)
Cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:51 AM   #3
smoothhabitat
flash ninja

1. splash. okay. i don't like that there is a splash, but i like the splash.
2. mouse movement: the moving arrows and blue thingys.
3. colors

dislikes:
1. "new media . design . identity" look like the should be links
2. difficult to read LCD-style font
3. small width of scrolling text
4. gray links that turn clickable is a usability problem. my first thought is (why is can't i click here).... what if someone comes back to the site and they want to review one of the gray links, do they have to click through the others again?!
5. too many links is a usability problem. divide them up into sections. 7 link max rule.
smoothhabitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:50 AM   #4
uten

dude,

i like the slicing effect after loading of images. everything else, usability issues.

jon
uten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 05:28 AM   #5
smoothhabitat
flash ninja

i like the slicing effect too, but could be faster.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:49 AM   #6
cool.Marty

Thanks for your comments guys.

- I myself don't like the fact that the images in the splash screen and the header are completely different. I have made more, but haven't got round to changing them just yet. Thought of doing a few, and having them change at random by php.

- The whole website is a lot smaller than it should be, as i made it for 800x600 resolution (only just changed my own to 1024x768 lol) and haven't had time for changing it for larger one's just yet (will be using a resolution detection javascript and altering it to suit). This is also why the text is so small, and the scroll-box width is fairly small too.

- The website itself is deliberately 'bland' so that the photography/images and websites (once i upload the 9 or so i'm working on) are the main focal point. Tho i added a few things to 'catch the eye', but without being detracting. I personally don't like websites with lengthy intros, loads of unnecessary transitions and avoided them in mine. It is supposed to be almost like a static website.

The only thing i have to disagree with in the criticism, is the links having a usability problem. I listed them all in the same way as a lot of sites would provide a site nav 'tree'. They are all there, so you know what all of the content is. But just as if i had sections of links, you'd still have to go through the different sections to get where you want, some options are not available until you click others. But because they are all allways there, you can clearly see what is and isn't clickable.

Anyway, i should probably not post this right now, as it's 2:00am and i am a little drunk. lol But what the heck.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #7
cool.Marty

That is the worst website i have ever seen, i could do better with crayons. Marty, you suck!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
smoothhabitat
flash ninja

Default crayons

i've always wanted to do a site with crayons.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: