Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 09-24-2001, 06:18 PM   #1
MetalSlug

Default Help with loading swf files in netscape

Hello, I'm somewhat confused by the flash plug-in in netscape. When I create and export a flash movie (swf file), I can browse to it and open it within netscape (without an encasulating html page) while it's on my hard drive. However, as soon as I put it on the web, and try to browse to it in netscape, it asks me to save the file?!

I've seen other swf files on the net that you can open via a direct link such as this rather popular one: http://www.collegehumor.com/temp/fight3.swf

Do I have to set things up so that a flash file with open up on it's own or is there something else that i'm missing here?

Thanks for any help,

Willie
MetalSlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 08:21 PM   #2
kingarturo
Wind Chaser

Hi there,

Make sure that you uploaded the swf file and not the fla file. It seems like you uploaded the fla. Does it work in IE?

Hope that helps.

Peace.
kingarturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 03:25 AM   #3
MetalSlug

Hi kingarturo,

Thanks for replying, but I definately did upload the swf file (and it does work properly in IE). Feel free to take a look at my simple web site at this link: http://www3.sympatico.ca/wchoi/niagara/tdn2000.htm

If you try to view the opening flash intro on it's own (the filename is tdn2000intro.swf), netscape will try to save it. Of course, if you do save it and then use netscape to open it from your hard drive, it works perfectly. I've also uploaded the fla file for that movie in case you wanted to view it for any clues. (same path, file name is tdn2000intro.fla)

I'm try to find out because I've been working on another site where a link will open a new browser window which is directed to an swf file. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work very well in netscape at the moment.

Thanks for your (additional) help,

Willie
Old 09-25-2001, 05:06 AM   #4
kingarturo
Wind Chaser

Hey MetalSlug,

I think it is your server. I took the liberty and downloaded your fla and published it in my comp. I uploaded it on my server and it works fine. Check it out.

http://thewebslinger.ca/tdn2000intro.swf

Hope that helps.

Peace.
kingarturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 01:59 PM   #5
MetalSlug

Oy! Damn Bell guys!

Thanks for your help kingarturo, now I'll have to figure out what's funky with the server. Wonder why it still works in IE though.... Oh well.

Thanks again for your help!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: