Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 10-04-2001, 06:37 PM   #1
JonShado

Send a message via ICQ to JonShado Send a message via AIM to JonShado
Question Pre-loading

I am in the Multimedia field and have been working with Flash now for 6 months or so. I feel i am fairly experienced in most of the basics but just recently i finished a project for a client that was going to post the movie on her website. The project was .jpg intensive and it was necessary to compress all the images into rather low quality (they look ok, but not ideal of course). There are only a few points left in the piece (runs about 2:30 total.) that it lags while debugging for 56k and during actual online testing. I am curious if there is a way to preload images for a scene using an action script of some sort or some other way. Any information on optimization would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
===JonShado
JonShado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 01:08 AM   #2
Jesse
ActionScript.org Founder

If it streams pretty well for the msot part I'd preload half of it (see my preloader tutorial) and rely on the rest loading during run-time of the preloaded section... if that didn't sound too confusing

Jesse Stratford
ActionScript.org Cofounder

Please don't email or PM me Flash questions, that's what the Forums are for!

Please don't rely on me reading my PMs either. Email me about important stuff.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 01:53 AM   #3
JonShado

Send a message via ICQ to JonShado Send a message via AIM to JonShado
Cool thanx

Thanks. the Tutorial rocked. I was a CS major in college, and am very happy to know that there is CODE surrounding Flash!! I built a very simple preloader from your tutorial and it worked like a charm. I debugged and found that i only needed to preload about 15% of the whole thing to get it to run smoothly. Thanks for all your help. If you would like to see it (though the client hasnt even seen it yet ) and comment please send me an email to [email protected] and i'll give you the address.

thanks again
===JonShado
JonShado is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: