Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 10-12-2001, 04:52 AM   #1
vilehelm
recovering nicely

Send a message via AIM to vilehelm Send a message via Yahoo to vilehelm
Default Tendintis and carpal tunnel

Has anybody used a glove or some other wrist support for a hurting mouse hand wrist? The problem is more from tennis and foosball (quit snickering) but it makes work a bit uncomfotable.

I'm icing it using ibuprofren and yes i'm seeing the doctor but not a lot to do for it except not work..not really an option.

Any advice/resource is welcome.
Old 10-12-2001, 03:44 PM   #2
kingarturo
Wind Chaser

Hi vilehelm,

I use to have tendinitis and my doctor made me buy this wrap that you use just below the elbow. It helped alot because it took the muscle that was affected out of action. Maybe ask your doctor about it.

<start best richard simons impersonation> I would also do alot of stretches like have your arm straight out and with your fingers pointing up and your palms pointing out, pull on your fingers towards you until you get a stretch and hold for 15 secs. Now point your fingers down with your palm facing towards you and do the same. </end best richard simons impersonation>

Hope that helps.

Peace
kingarturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 01:09 PM   #3
pinkaboo
power to the pinK

Send a message via ICQ to pinkaboo

I didn't get on very well with my mouse so I snub him now. I bought myself a Wacom graphics tablet and pen (don't need a big expensive one, A6 is perfectly adequate really) so that I could draw more easily and as I find it so much more comfortable to use than a mouse I use it all the time now. I did hear from somewhere that using a pen rather than a mouse is much less damaging to your wrist but whether that is true or not I'm not 100% sure.

K
pinkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 03:19 PM   #4
20 Ton Squirrel
Risu Oyabun!

Like we've all heard like a billion times, it's all in the angle of your wrist while typing/mousing. If you are at an awkward angle because your chair is too short or too tall in relation to your desktop that's where the trouble begins. The repetitive motions don't help either, so take breaks to stretch and flex like the King suggested. Who cares if they stare! As for the tablet... *drool* man I want an 8X11!!! Benifit to wrist or not, that would rock.

I'm in the same boat as you, Vile. I sprained my right wrist the other week sparring and it hasn't been the same since. It really sucks, but you seem to have it worse Mr. Ibuprofen.

I wear a wrist brace that forces my hand into a stable position. Seems to help a little, but gets itchy after a while. My mammy had carpals tunnel syndrome years back and her recovery involved wearing braces just like the one I've got on now. Poor lady couldn't lift a gallon of milk for months... but tech has evolved in this area so it's not so bad these days.

You can swag those braces for around fifteen dollars.
20 Ton Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 04:07 PM   #5
vilehelm
recovering nicely

Send a message via AIM to vilehelm Send a message via Yahoo to vilehelm

thanks. I have the splint brace now and the guy who i'd been playing foosball with is not working here anymore so that should lessen the aggravation. (sad but true)

it looks like i may be getting a steroid shot as it seems to be a damaged tendon rather than carpal tunnel. my wrist hurts on the outside where the bone juts out.

ouch, hurts to type
Old 10-15-2001, 04:15 PM   #6
20 Ton Squirrel
Risu Oyabun!

Ouch! I'm not sure which is worse, the carpals tunnel or the tendon. Either way, hope ya get better soon. Use the Hunt & Peck typing style for a while, let that hand rest!

"Take time with a wounded hand..."
Old 10-16-2001, 05:19 AM   #7
Jesse
ActionScript.org Founder

Well my eyes are bloody killing me since I forfeited my beautiful LG Flatron (whcih was playing up and needed repairs) for this junketty old 15 incher with .28 dot pitch. I might even have to find something better to do than sitting in front of a PC all day

Jesse Stratford
ActionScript.org Cofounder

Please don't email or PM me Flash questions, that's what the Forums are for!

Please don't rely on me reading my PMs either. Email me about important stuff.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 02:05 PM   #8
20 Ton Squirrel
Risu Oyabun!

Oh, how ye suffer! I can hear the retina detaching from here! I'm content with the 17" monstrosity on my desk at the moment. It's one of those OLD kind, so it causes the particle board desk to bow inward. Heheheh...
Old 10-16-2001, 04:05 PM   #9
tg
done

Default tendonitus

i suffered tendonitus on my achilles for a while -- looked like someone had slipped a hens egg under the skin on the tendon... only thing that would cure it was to keep my feet elevated above my heart (read recline) and pour as much ice,vodka and lime on it via my mouth. i had to suffer through that treatment for weeks. i still need periodic doses for preventive reasons.
tg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 05:45 PM   #10
kingarturo
Wind Chaser

For sore eyes I would suggest a 19 inch Samsung Flat Screen. I have never had sore eyes.

Yeah I hear what you're saying there tg, vodka & lime does a good job but from the doktors I speaked with cognac was the consensus.

Peace.
kingarturo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: