Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 12-02-2004, 03:00 AM   #1
whozie
Keyboard, meet forehead.

Default need mac users with safari

I just flash application for a client selling property with associated houseplans, one of the clients is a religious safari user and this site doesn't work correctly on his machine, he has panther with the newest safari and flash plugin loaded.

I hate telling a client like this its outta my hands, but I atleast have to try to get some sort of consensus since there seems to be no solution online from macromedia nor apple.

This site uses LoadVars.load() to get variables from php, which is the problem safari is having with flash. Its suppose to let you choose a lot/houseplan combination then register. Let me know how it works, thanks.

http://www.highland-parks.com/index2.php?pg=map
whozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:14 AM   #2
petefs
Fried Onions

Send a message via AIM to petefs Send a message via MSN to petefs Send a message via Yahoo to petefs

It will work in Jaguar, oddly enough.

I've seen this and researched it myself. Nobody has found a work-around -- you'll most likely have to inform your client that there is a known issue with panther/safari and dynamic flash sites and suggest, albeit grudgingly, that he become familiar with another browser or upgrade to jaguar.
petefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:35 AM   #3
whozie
Keyboard, meet forehead.

Thank you pete, thats what I needed to hear.

Is upgrading to Jaguar a 100% fix? (or 99.99% rather...nothing being certain in the compatibility realm).
whozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:03 AM   #4
petefs
Fried Onions

Send a message via AIM to petefs Send a message via MSN to petefs Send a message via Yahoo to petefs

I have not heard nor found a single complaint with Jaguar -- I would do a follow-up search however just in case. I had this same complaint with a safari/panther using client and did some follow-up to see if I could fix it, and those were my findings.

For the record:

the site implemented Flash Remoting in Actionscript 2.0 with AMFPHP for Flash Player 7.

complaints were found for the following:
LoadVars methods
Loading dynamic jpegs
Some UI components not working properly

I can't remember 100%, but I'm relatively sure that these problems were found in files published for version 6 and version 7 files.

Summation: 99.99% sounds about right, but I would do a quick search for something like "jaguar dynamic flash" on google and see if you find anybody listing problems ^_^

Good luck, pleasing the clients is often the most frustrating AND important part of running a business ; )
Old 12-02-2004, 04:07 AM   #5
flyingchalupa

Actually, that would be a DOWNGRADE to Jaguar. As Panther is the latest OS.
And yeah, it seems to run fine on Jaguar. What is the exact problem that he is having? There must be some way to get around it.
flyingchalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:12 AM   #6
petefs
Fried Onions

err, there you go -- I use Macs as often as I have birthdays. Mostly troubleshooting for clients who use Macintosh :b

As far as getting around it, I've seen some rather competent developers posting on blogs stumped. If somebody finds something, I'd love to know, but it's a rather isolated problem and writing workarounds for it seems like an awful waste of time for what I consider to be a sub-par low-penetration browser. We all know that the client/user is always right, but you can't please 100% of the public 100% of the time, eh? [/rant]
Old 12-02-2004, 04:49 AM   #7
flyingchalupa

True enough, you can't please everyone. And the audience for this site doesn't look like it will be made up of a large percentage of mac users. Though, Safari use is really growing, and if there is a problem it should definately be looked at. Not being able to load jpegs, or use loadVars? Pretty much makes the browser useless for flash. Or is it *gasp* flash useless for the browser?
flyingchalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:03 AM   #8
petefs
Fried Onions

Flash is rapidly becoming a relative 'standard' -- it's not for me to instruct the people developing browsers, but crippling a plugin that has the highest penetration rate, or ANY plugin with a penetration rate of over 90%, is foolish.

A suite of tests may be in order, but from what I've seen of Safari I certainly hope the popularity doesn't increase :b

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: