Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > ActionScript Forums Group > ActionScript 2.0

Old 12-17-2004, 01:37 AM   #1
bittman

Default Array index variable not stored in dynamically created buttons --onRelease() problem?

Is there any way to pass a variable when calling the onRelease() function? In the example below, I am dynamically creating a series of rows/buttons and would like to dynamically load additional text from an array when clicking the row/button.

The problem is...the value for "i" is not being stored when the button behavior is defined. In the case below, "i" always has a value of "4" -- which traces undefined. I need "i" to be stored as "0", "1", "2", etc. when I define the button behavior.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...including a different way of doing it

Code:
//Loads easing
var easeType = mx.transitions.easing.Strong.easeOut;

//Expands view
contentHolder.showRows.onRelease = function(){
	myTween = new mx.transitions.Tween(contentHolder, "_X", easeType, -445, 35, 10);	
}

//Dummy data for testing
var myARR = new Array(
				{city:"New York", description:"MTA raises subway fares", date:"2005", contentT:"Blah, blah, blah"},
				{city:"Los Angeles", description:"Traffic continues to be a problem", date:"2004", contentT:"Blah, blah, blah"},
				{city:"London", description:"Will the rain ever stop?", date:"2005", contentT:"Blah, blah, blah"},
				{city:"Paris", description:"Top 10 things to do", date:"2003", contentT:"Blah, blah, blah"}
				);
//Vertical starting position for the first button
vertPosition=0;

//Dynamically create rows of buttons.
for (var i = 0; i < myARR.length; i++) {

contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder.attachMovie("singleRow", "singleRow"+i+"_mc", contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder.getNextHighestDepth(), {_x:0, _y:vertPosition});
	contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder["singleRow"+i+"_mc"].cityText = myARR[i].city;
	contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder["singleRow"+i+"_mc"].descriptionText = myARR[i].description;
	contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder["singleRow"+i+"_mc"].dateText = myARR[i].date;

//Assign actions to each button
	contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder["singleRow"+i+"_mc"].rowButton.onRelease = function(){
		//PROBLEM HERE -- "i" not being stored. The value of "i" gets looked up when calling the function.
		contentHolder.descriptionText2 = myARR[i].description;
		contentHolder.contentText = myARR[i].contentT;
		myTween = new mx.transitions.Tween(_root.contentHolder, "_X", easeType, 0, -445, 10);
	}
	vertPosition=vertPosition+24;	
}

stop();
bittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:03 AM   #2
uten

dude,

because your event onRelease is triggered only after the for-loop, it always gets the current value of i... which after the loop is 4? or 3 since it stops less than your array length.

anyhow, define and store the i value before and outside of your onRelease event handler.

ActionScript Code:
contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder.attachMovie("singleRow", "singleRow"+i+"_mc", contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder.getNextHighestDepth(), {_x:0, _y:vertPosition});     contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder["singleRow"+i+"_mc"].cityText = myARR[i].city;     contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder["singleRow"+i+"_mc"].descriptionText = myARR[i].description;     contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder["singleRow"+i+"_mc"].dateText = myARR[i].date;     [B]contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder["singleRow"+i+"_mc"].iValue= i;[/B]     // then call in event handler contentHolder.scrollWindow.spContentHolder["singleRow"+i+"_mc"].rowButton.onRelease = function(){                 contentHolder.descriptionText2 = myARR[iValue].description;         contentHolder.contentText = myARR[iValue].contentT; }

hope i helped.
jon
uten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:10 AM   #3
uten

havent tested my solution.. i think you need to rewrite the code inside event handler as: myARR[this._parent.iValue].description;

hope it works. tell me what you think.

jon

Last edited by uten; 12-17-2004 at 02:12 AM.
uten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
bittman

Yep...your last addition did the trick. By calling "iValue" directly it was looking on the "_root" level. You have to use "myARR[this._parent.iValue].description;"

Thank you for the fix!!! It was driving me crazy
bittman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: