Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 05-24-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
acseven

Default Please review this website

Hi,

This is my first attempt of messing around with CSS extensively (maybe too much) and [ALOT] flash. It is for a portuguese musician:

www.betobetuk.com

I would be very thankful if you could review this website, mainly because it had to be put online and it's not 100% ready (well.. not even 70%... ). The site is in portuguese, but the contents is not important for this matter.

Please report your browser and if your browsing experience is ok or not.

STATUS/KNOWN ISSUES (but please confirm them anyway):
- Mozilla Firefox: it's running as it should.
- IE 6.0/pc: edit: this has been somewhat corrected, thanks SirNapalm now looks cool in IE
- Opera 8.0: horizontal translation (it's always there, can you tell me why?), some browsing issues
- IE/safari MAC: fixed.

Thanks very much

Last edited by acseven; 07-01-2005 at 06:27 PM. Reason: compatabilities
acseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
SirNapalm
SirNapalm

hi,

Nice use of images and I love the little peeps at the top !

But I don't understand why you didn't go entirely in flash, deriving from the page source all is flash except the nav! Why mess around with CSS when you mainly use flash anyway?

I have been developing CSS for some time and it is hardly posible to get it cross platform and browser compatible without using heaps and heaps of hacks.

And why did you use a png for that bg graphic? just use a .gif and IE will display it too.

Cheers,
SirNapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
acseven

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I wanted to use CSS for 2 reasons, first because I wanted to learn how to use it, and second because it is a lot easier to create a new page with a css layout. I don't want to mess around with my flash files a lot. I made them all dynamic enough so that I wouldn't have to change them every time the content changed.

As for the png, the png files have alpha transparency (not color indexed thansparency), you don't have that in gif files. There is no way you would create the transparencies I have on the page using gif files...

cheers!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #4
SirNapalm
SirNapalm

OK!

CSS is always a nice and handy thing to know.

I know gif can't have alpha transparency. But seeing though IE doesn't support png it is in my opinion not a good idea to use it. You can make any image have alpha transparency using CSS though. Of course only the entire image the same transparency level (I doubt this is what you need).

Using a gif I was mainly speaking of the middle bg image. It is (if I am right) four pixels. Two dark ones on opposite corners and then to alpha transparent ones in the other corners. What if that was a gif two with one color and the other two color transparent? The eye 'designs' as well and you can create the illusion of alpha transparency picking the right colors. This would make it look tons better in IE.

Just a thought - could be wrong

Cheers,
Old 06-01-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
acseven

Hi again,

In IE I am using a 1x1 sized pic because if I used the 2x2 png the flash movies here only 'clickable' from half to bottom (wierd, but true).

But I will change to a gif with full transparency, you're right, it will look better... At least more similar to what happens in Firefox! I didn't think of that!

thanks!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
SirNapalm
SirNapalm

hi,

That is weird indeed! Using color transparency gif in IE will look a lot more like what it does in Firefox - so this will be a nice change.

Glad to help!

Cheers,
Old 06-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
cxn926
no

cool site. keep up the good work.
cxn926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
acseven

Wink

Thank you all for your fine comments

I have changed the background image to a gif, it looks a lot better in IE now! Thanks! I first tried using a 2x2 gif, but that would make IE slow as snails... I created a 100x100 gif for the background pattern, and it now should hang on just fine.

Thanks SirNapalm for the tip!

edit: the site will have some music clips from the album soon, that is the main thing that is lacking right now ...

Last edited by acseven; 06-02-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
Thorrific

Default nice site

Nice site, I would like to hear your music!
Thorrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
acseven

hi!

thank you for your comment, but the music is not mine! :P I only made the site for this musician. The music is good, though!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: