Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 06-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
Swashbuckler200

Default Problems implementing two different AS

Hi all

I want to implement two AS scripts at a certain point on my timeline however whilst each individual AS works fine, when I combine the two together one cancels out the other.

The first AS slides each individual menu items when the mouse cursor is over them.

ActionScript Code:
//Global Variables _global.speed = 1.3; _global.stickiness = 8; _global.baseX = 5; _global.finalX = 30; //Movement Functions function moveOut () {     this.xStep = 0;     this.onEnterFrame = function ()     {         if (this._x < finalX)         {             difference = finalX - this._x;             this.xStep = (this.xStep + difference * speed) / stickiness;             this._x += this.xStep;         }         if (this._x > finalX)         {             this._x = finalX;         }     }; } function moveIn () {     this.xStep = 0;     this.onEnterFrame = function ()     {         if (this._x > baseX)         {             difference = finalX - this._x;             this.xStep = (this.xStep + difference * speed) / stickiness;             this._x -= this.xStep;         }         if (this._x < baseX)         {             this._x = baseX;         }     }; } //Assign event handlers vNav001.onRollOver = moveOut; vNav001.onRollOut = moveIn; vNav002.onRollOver = moveOut; vNav002.onRollOut = moveIn; vNav003.onRollOver = moveOut; vNav003.onRollOut = moveIn;

The second AS randomly moves a mc (spiral) around the stage whenever the cursor mouse is over a menu item.

ActionScript Code:
for (i=0; i<4; i++) {     _root["vNav00"+i].onRollOver = function() {         _root.spiral_mc._x = random(Stage.width);         _root.spiral_mc._y = random(Stage.height);         onEnterFrame = function () {             _root.spiral_mc._alpha += 5;         };     };     _root["vNav001"+i].onRollOut = function() {         onEnterFrame = function () {             _root.spiral_mc._alpha -= 5;         };     }; }

Problem is if I combine the two in the order above the menu action script (e.g. the first one) no longer functions.

Any idea how I can solve this problem?
Swashbuckler200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
creynders
flash veteran

The problem is that you assign a onRollOver event handler to the buttons twice, so the second assignment overwrites the first one.
A possible solution could be to write
ActionScript Code:
vNav001.moveOut = moveOut;
instead of
ActionScript Code:
vNav001.onRollOver = moveOut;

and then in the second piece of code
ActionScript Code:
_root["vNav00"+i].onRollOver = function() {           [U]this.moveOut()[/U]           _root.spiral_mc._x = random(Stage.width);           _root.spiral_mc._y = random(Stage.height);           onEnterFrame = function () {                _root.spiral_mc._alpha += 5;           };      };

and then do the same for moveIn and onRollOut

BTW you should check out variable scoping, it's very important that you understand what the scope of a variable is, look up "var" and the topic "variable scoping" in the flash helpfiles
creynders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
Swashbuckler200

Many thanks...it worked a treat.

I will look into variable scoping in my text books as it looks as if can save a lot of time.
Swashbuckler200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
creynders
flash veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler200
I will look into variable scoping in my text books as it looks as if can save a lot of time.
Oh, that's not about saving time, it's simply essential
... and agreed it will save you some "pulling out my hair because this *$£µ% thing doesn't do what i want"-time
creynders is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: