Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > Community Boards > General Chat

Old 12-18-2001, 09:49 AM   #1
vosgien

Default server side - learning curve

Hi to all at actionscript.org, I only found you recently - spend most of my time at Friends of Ed, were here and flash planet.
I have been learning 5 and actionscript for a short while and as I want to move into web design and feel the need to understand the server side. I am after advice on where to go - what to read etc for this. I am thinking of buying "Server side Flash" and am wondering, should I be learning something like PHP - any advice or info about this will be greatly appreciated.
Love the tutes by the way, - very straightforward

keep up the good work

Vosgien
vosgien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 11:46 AM   #2
mad_A
The Zen of ActionScript

Hi there,

I have the server side flash book (anders winstanley one), and would recommend it.
If you are also a programmer like me you will probably prefer to write your own connection codes, but it is a very useful resource.

Also, if you want to develop more complex programs, especially with some of the enhancements of flash6, having a knowlege of the full capabilities of flash is essential. If you get deep into flash-xml-server-xml-database stuff you should consider getting "Flash and XML, a Developer's Guide" by jacobson and jacobson. I just got it and it has filled a lot of blanks for me.

hope that's some help

A
mad_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 03:45 PM   #3
tg
done

server side covers alot of ground.
you could look into php,asp,jsp,cgi,perl,coldfusion(cfml),ruby... im sure i've missed a couple, they all have their pros and cons, depends on what you are familiar with, the platform you want to work on, how much learning curve you want to deal with, and how much support and community you want.

blah, blah, blah... you'll probably find the most help with php and asp.
tg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: