Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 02-08-2002, 05:20 AM   #1
rawhide_rex

Default Relative Scrolling Content and Navigation

OK... I've got a handle on this tutorial.... http://www.the-stickman.com/tutorial...eys_menu.shtml

Here's the problem. Can a movie clip be played once the sliding is done?

For example. You click a button... the content slides to the specific section.. then the movie clip starts.

Or would loadmovie be better and how would I go about doing that?

I've been going crazy trying to figure this out. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by rawhide_rex; 02-08-2002 at 05:22 AM.
rawhide_rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 08:38 AM   #2
Jesse
ActionScript.org Founder

You should be able to achieve that just by adding one line to this conditional (which appears on each of the internal labels):
Code:
if (target == current) {
    stop ();
    // command to play your movieclip
}

Jesse Stratford
ActionScript.org Cofounder

Please don't email or PM me Flash questions, that's what the Forums are for!

Please don't rely on me reading my PMs either. Email me about important stuff.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
Avenirex

Send a message via ICQ to Avenirex Send a message via AIM to Avenirex
Default 2 year reply :D

Well, apologies for the 2 year old message being drug up from the depths. I'm working on this same scrollable content tutorial, and although it's old, it works great.

I have the same question as the first poster, whether or not I can command my movies to play once the scroll stops at an apropriate page in the scroll.

I'm using the "Barney's Menu Tutorial" from thestickman.com (as reccomended in the actionscript.org tutorial) and can't figure out how to modify it so that I am able to play my movies when I want to. The lines of code above seem to only apply to the actionscript tutorial, not the method that I'v been using.

I'm a total beginner with action script, only learned Flash about 4 days ago, so I'm sure it's a simple solution, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Thanks in advance.
Avenirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:28 PM   #4
Avenirex

As an additional follow up (I think I'm just more confused now anyway), I found that any movies that I place in my second page (that the movie scrolls to) will start to play immediately when the whole movie loads, not when it gets to their respective page (which makes sense, since they are all on frame 1, although I have a stop() on frame 1, but it doesn't seem to matter). So, I created a frame 2, and in this frame the secondary movies (on each slide) are supposed to load, only I can't figure out how to start them. I tried this code:

if (destination_menu = "page_2") {
stop ();
this.gotoAndPlay("2");

}

as a variation on the code suggested above, but I didn't really think that it would work, and it didn't. If anyone has any ideas at all, this is make or break for me on this sliding scrolling content thing, because otherwise I'll just use individual static frames, and no transition.

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-09-2004, 08:43 PM   #5
Avenirex

heh heh... sorta feel like I'm talking to myself, but who knows.

anyway, I sorta got it to work, what it needed was a stop() on frame two to keep the movie from rolling back to frame 1. So I press the button and it jumps to frame 2, and starts loading the individual page movies and all, voila. however, it now ignores my transition and jumps right to the second frame (as i sort of asked it to do).

I set up as a test a keypress() for the slide, so it transitions to page 2, and then when I keypress, it loads frame 2 fine, but this will not work for someone visiting my page. is there any way I can tell it that once it runs the scroll transition and moves to slide 2, then it should run the keypress() or whatever and move to frame 2? Sorta like what is mentioned above, only I'm back to where I was in the first place - and I'm unable to use that code in my style of movie. Oh the humanity
Old 03-09-2004, 09:39 PM   #6
Avenirex

Alright... so here's the deal. I finally figured out how to get it to play what I wanted, and it involved putting all the things I wanted on Frame 2 of the second slide. When you click the button, it runs the transition, and tells the slidetwo movie to start playing at frame 2. This solves the auto start (there's a stop() at frame 1) and allows me to start only when the button is clicked to go to them. And to make them start at an appropriate time (after the transition) I just have all the movies in slidetwo start playing at about frame 35 or so, so that they start just about when the transition finishes.

But, I'm sure there must be a better way to do this, one that will tell the movies to start AFTER the transition completes, and make it less of a 'hack job' than it is right now. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: