I built a streaming music player for a client, using netStream, netConnection, and audio-only FLV. (Client doesn't want to make mp3 files available.)
No problems so far, player works great: loads track info from MySQL, plays/stops/skips, etc.
The problem is that any time you do something non-flash related with the browser window, the FLV playback pauses once the buffer empties. As soon as you release the mouse, close the menu or un-minimize the browser window, plkayback resumes.
The problem only occurs when you do something like the following:
- click & hold the browser window's scroll bar
- open the "bookmarks" menu from the menu bar & leave open for a few sec.
- click & hold the browser window title, as though to move the window
- click & hold the browser window resize handle
- switch to another browser tab (only stops playback in Safari, FireFox is ok)
- minimize the browser window (again, ok in FireFox but problematic in Safari)
I've noticed this behaviour on various sites that use FLV content, but Google has not turned up any mention of the problem. Surely I'm not the only one who has noticed this, does anyone know of a solution or workaround?
Check out this site for an example, exhibits the same behaviour (not my site) http://www.flashcomguru.co.uk/index....a-PHP-take-two
Dev / Testing setups:
OSX.3.9 / Safari / FireFox / IE / flash player 8
OSX.4 / Safari / FireFox / flash player 8
WinXP / IE / flash player 8
Thanks in advance,