Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press

Go Back   ActionScript.org Forums > ActionScript Forums Group > ActionScript 2.0

Old 12-17-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
SCook

Default Flash and AS browser issues

Hey gang,

Quick question. I've built a site totally in flash. Some people who view it are getting "undefined" in the dynamic text fields. I've never seen this, and I know it's not a programming error. It's published in flash 7, so the question is: Has anyone heard of any odd interfacing issues with flash and browsers that maybe aren't IE 6.029 service pack 2? Maybe older browsers or wierd hardware configs? Thanks.
SCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
ssjskipp

When a textbox is 'undefined', that means that the varaible is 'undefined'...there should be any browser issues because flash it seperate formt he browser itself. As long as the person has flash player, then it's the same. So, check your scripts, and add something like:
ActionScript Code:
if ([variable] == undefined){ [variable] = [something] }
Or something to that extent.
ssjskipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:02 PM   #3
Scottae
Supa Flasha

Exclamation User Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCook
I've never seen this, and I know it's not a programming error. It's published in flash 7, so the question is: Has anyone heard of any odd interfacing issues with flash and browsers that maybe aren't IE 6.029 service pack 2? Maybe older browsers or wierd hardware configs? Thanks.
Just because you have never seen it doesn't mean it's not your fault.

ActionScript Code:
// Copy this to first frame of a new movie and test it out. // You will see a text field with 'undefined' as the text var myVariable:String; this.createTextField ("myTextField", 1, 10, 10, 200, 150); myTextField.border = true; myTextField.text = myVariable;
Scottae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
SCook

First, I know what undefined is. Second, you're right, just becuase I dont' see it, does not neccesarily means it's not a programming error. However, if it was a prog error, then it ALWAYS would be undefined, not only on 1.25% of the people who've visited the site. i.e. they have a hardware or broswers setting that's interfereing with flash. We've put in player detection, but it's still possible they have a corrupted file, etc. That's what I was looking for, anyone who might have seen this kind of oddity. The programming is sound, as it's been thoroughly alpha and beta tested. Not that some bug couldn't be lurking, but not for this, I think. But further study has shown that only 3 people so far have had a problem, so who know :-)
SCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
Scottae
Supa Flasha

Is the text field getting it's text property set with external data? Like from a text file on the server or from a data base? Maybe that has something to do with it. I've never heard of having hardware or broswers setting that interferes with flash. Maybe you could create test swf and have those 1.25% check out this test swf. If they have the same issue, then you are on to something. If not, then it's likely there's something wrong with your script.
Scottae is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: