Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 01-18-2006, 02:37 AM   #1
xxlm
Meuh? MMeuh!

Send a message via ICQ to xxlm Send a message via AIM to xxlm Send a message via MSN to xxlm Send a message via Yahoo to xxlm
Default Reusable class ... ?

Hi there...

I'm reading a book about AI "Programming Game by Example" by Mat buckland.
This book has C++ example (no flash )
So as I'm going through the book I'm writting the example for flash.

The thing is I come on something I dunno if it's possible to do in flash.
I will try to simplify at max the explaination.

Let's say you have a miner which is an instance of the Miner class.
ActionScript Code:
import classes.EnterMineAndDigForNugget; import classes.Location import classes.State class classes.Miner extends classes.Character { //  actual State     private var _pCurrentState:State; //  the place where the miner is currently situated     private var _sLocation:Location; //  how many nuggets the miner has in this pockets     private var _nGoldCarried:Number = 0; //  how much money the miner has deposited in the bank     private var _nMoneyBank:Number = 0; //  the higher the value the thirstier the miner     private var _nThirst:Number = 0; //  the higher the value, the more tired the miner     private var _nFatigue:Number = 0; //  constant //  the amount of gold a miner must have before he feels comfortable     private var _nComfortLevel:Number = 5; //  the amount of nuggets a miner can carry     private var _nMaxNugget:Number = 3; //  above this value a miner is thirsty     private var _nThirstLevel:Number = 5; //  above this value a miner is sleepy     private var _nTirednessThreshold:Number = 5; //  constructor     public function Miner() {         _pCurrentState = EnterMineAndDigForNugget.instance;     }     //  overwritting     public function update():Void {         _nThirst += 1;         if (_pCurrentState != undefined) _pCurrentState.execute(this);     }     //  this function change the current state to the new state     public function changeState(s:State):Void {     //  call the exit methods of the current state         if (_pCurrentState != undefined) _pCurrentState.exit(this);         _pCurrentState = s;     //  call the enter methods of the current state         if (_pCurrentState != undefined) _pCurrentState.enter(this);     }     /* * Miner action and state */     public function BuyAndDrinkAWhiskey(Void):Void {         _nThirst = 0;         _nMoneyBank -= 2;     }         public function increaseFatigue(Void):Void {         _nFatigue++;     }     public function decreaseFatigue(Void):Void {         _nFatigue--;     }     public function fatigued():Boolean {         if (_nFatigue > _nTirednessThreshold) return true;         return false;     }         public function pocketsFull(Void):Boolean {         if (_nGoldCarried >= _nMaxNugget) return true;         return false;     }         public function thirsty(Void):Boolean {         if (_nThirst >= _nThirstLevel) return true;         return false;     }     /****************************************************************************** * GET AND SET ******************************************************************************/      public function set location(s:String) {         _sLocation.change(s);     }     public function get location():String {         return _sLocation.find();     }         public function set goldCarrier (n:Number) {         _nGoldCarried = n;     }     public function get goldCarrier ():Number {         return _nGoldCarried;     }            public function set moneyBank (n:Number) {         _nMoneyBank = n;     }     public function get moneyBank ():Number {         return _nMoneyBank;     }         public function get comfortLevel ():Number {         return _nComfortLevel     }         public function set fatigue (n:Number) {         _nFatigue = n;     }     public function get fatigue ():Number {         return _nFatigue;     } }
The miner can have different state (thirsty, working, sleep)
Each state is a singleton class holding the code for this state and to change to another state (ie, sleep: if (!tired) miner.changeState(working))
Those 3 classes are inheriting the State class
ActionScript Code:
import classes.Miner class classes.State {     private function State(){}     public function enter(miner:Miner):Void {}     public function execute(miner:Miner):Void {}     public function exit(miner:Miner):Void {} }
and implementing the IState interface (thus I'm doing like an abstract class)
ActionScript Code:
import classes.Miner interface classes.IState {     public function enter(miner:Miner):Void;     public function execute(miner:Miner):Void;     public function exit(miner:Miner):Void; }

As you can see the state class has for this function a typed argument.
What I would like to do is beeing able to reuse this class for other character than miner.

Let's say I have minerWife. I would like beeing able to use the same State class in my definition, like
ActionScript Code:
class classes.minerWife { //  actual State     private var _pCurrentState:State; .... //  overwritting     public function update():Void {         _nThirst += 1; // if I can't change the type inside the State class I will get an error here // because the state will wait a Miner object and not a minerWife one         if (_pCurrentState != undefined) _pCurrentState.execute(this);     } }

I don't want to rewrite the state class as often as I need a new class to use it...

I know that it can be achive in C++ with the class template.

Thx mates...
xxlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:19 AM   #2
astgtciv
Resu Deretsiger

I think that to do this in AS you would have to change the of the State.execute() method to accept a superclass of Miner and MinerWife (or, ultimately, an Object). Then you would dispatch on the type of passed parameter... (ugly yes ) Manual implementation of method polymorphism...

ActionScript Code:
public function execute(someone:Object):Void { if (someone instanceof Miner) { } else if (someone instanceof MinerWife) { } else { // default } }

This certainly doesn't sound like valuable advice, we'll see what the gurus say about this
astgtciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:22 AM   #3
xxlm
Meuh? MMeuh!

Send a message via ICQ to xxlm Send a message via AIM to xxlm Send a message via MSN to xxlm Send a message via Yahoo to xxlm

Yeah I thought about this but then a Miner could call a DoCooking class (inheriting from the state one). Have you ever see a miner cooking???
What I mean is then all the derived class of State could be access by all the characters... Not good he...
But I think if there is no real way I will take this one
xxlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:29 AM   #4
astgtciv
Resu Deretsiger

Well, how would you have used a C++ template for this? E.g., a Miner gets his own parametrized version of the State class, State<Miner>?
astgtciv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: