Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 01-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
msimmons

Default Having trouble selecting a combo box item

I am loading a mc that has a combo box on it and I want to pre select an item... this combo is built from the database via xml. an example of the data would be:

index : data : label
0 : 123456 : john doe
1 : 123457 : jane doe
2 : 123458 : someone else

and so on...

so I have the "123456" part and I want to pre select it... how?
thanks
msimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
flashead
daehsalf

instanceNameOfComboBox.setSelectedIndex(number);
And pass a number, 0 being the first item in your combo, 1 being the 2nd etc.

Last edited by flashead; 01-18-2006 at 04:57 PM.
flashead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
msimmons

i could have done that but...
I do not know what number 612617 corresponds to. The combo is populated from a database so I do not know how many records or at what position they will be at design time.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:28 AM   #4
flashead
daehsalf

oh.
now that i've read your question a second time, i think i understand what you're asking.
what you need is a little function to loop through whatever array/object is set as the dataProvider for your combobox. and search for data that matches n:
ActionScript Code:
// an array populated by an xml file. (populated by me for this example) var dataArray = [     { label:"Harry",   data:123456 },     { label:"Sally",   data:123457 },     { label:"Fred",    data:123458 },     { label:"Roxanne", data:123459 } ]; // comboBox.dataProvider = dataArray; // // the data we want to search for. var userDefinedVariable = 123459; // // set the selectedIndex to whatever the queryData function returns. comboBox.selectedIndex = queryData( userDefinedVariable ); // function queryData( query ) {     trace( "searching for:" + query + newline );     //     // loop through the array that provides the data to the combobox.     var l = dataArray.length;     for ( var i=0; i<l; i++ )     {         var trc = "[" + i + "] : " + dataArray[i].data;         // test for equality between the query parameter passed and the value of data for the current item.         // if the two match, return the value of i. which, in this example, will equal 3 which is the index of 123459.         if ( dataArray[i].data == query ) return i;         else trc += " > item not found.";         //         trace( trc );     }     // if the query value isn't found, default to something else ( in this case the first item).     return 0; }

---
i should mention that the method i suggested in my earlier post is the component v1 way. if you're using v2 it would be:
ActionScript Code:
instanceNameOfComboBox.selectedIndex = 2;
all code in my example up top is the v2 method.

Last edited by flashead; 01-19-2006 at 04:35 AM.
flashead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
msimmons

Cool, thanks for that since we're in a time crunch we just redesigned the way we have the program to function so I won't be needing it this time but being such an obvious feature (one of many that flash makes difficult to do) I'm sure I'll need it again before too long so I've marked this post in favorites and will be sure to let you know how it works out.
Thanks again!
(oh and as far as v1 vs v2 go, I assume we're using v2 (we're using the latest version of flash)... I don't do any of the design, just the code behind it so not sure
M
Old 03-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
msimmons

Its been just a little over two months, seems like so long ago
Here is what I did, It is pretty much what you are saying, but in a reuseable function:
ActionScript Code:
//**FUNCTION FOR SELECTING CBO INDEX BASED ON DATA VALUE function selectCboIndexByData(theCbo,theDataValue):Number{     //loop through ever item in the cbo     for(var i:Number=0; i<theCbo.length; i++){         //check to see if we have found what we are looking for         if(theCbo.getItemAt(i).data == theDataValue){             //when we find what we want pass it back to the caller             return i;         }     }     //if we make it all the way to the end without finding what we want just return 0     return 0; }
now if I want to display something in any of my cbo's I just do this:
ActionScript Code:
myCbo.selectedIndex = selectCboIndexByData(myCbo, '612617');
Old 04-24-2008, 06:35 AM   #7
shauns1

Thumbs up Looping through items in Flash ComboBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimmons View Post
Its been just a little over two months, seems like so long ago
Here is what I did, It is pretty much what you are saying, but in a reuseable function:
ActionScript Code:
//**FUNCTION FOR SELECTING CBO INDEX BASED ON DATA VALUE function selectCboIndexByData(theCbo,theDataValue):Number{     //loop through ever item in the cbo     for(var i:Number=0; i<theCbo.length; i++){         //check to see if we have found what we are looking for         if(theCbo.getItemAt(i).data == theDataValue){             //when we find what we want pass it back to the caller             return i;         }     }     //if we make it all the way to the end without finding what we want just return 0     return 0; }
now if I want to display something in any of my cbo's I just do this:
ActionScript Code:
myCbo.selectedIndex = selectCboIndexByData(myCbo, '612617');

Just wanted to say thanks for this handy function.
shauns1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: