Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
doh

Question Adding a zero after decimal point in totals?

Hi, new here so sorry if this is a very basic question.

I'm making a money-bank game where coins get dragged across to the piggy-bank and the total is displayed throughout.

My problem is that, if say the amount is 10p, it is displayed as 0.1 rather than 0.10, or 1.1 for £1.10 etc. It would be great if I could get something to recognise those situations - adding 0 to make 0.10 - but not, say, to make 11p into 0.110.

I put in some seriously clunky code which checked if the amount was a specific number (such as 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 etc) and told it to add a 0 on, but I'm sure there must be a simpler way of doing this? Specifically to maybe try and get it to only scan the number AFTER the decimal point and if there's only 1 number there, then add a 0 on afterwards to display the correct amount.

I have a vague feeling it might have something to do with charAt(), but I'm not sure - it's not something I've looked at before. So any suggestions/help would be really appreciated.
doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
oka_
bleh.

Hey there, you're on the right track for sure. I'd convert the number to a string, and test how many characters there are after the decimal point.

Something like...
ActionScript Code:
number = 1.5; foo = String(number); if (foo.substring(foo.indexOf(".", 0) + 1, foo.length).length == 1) {     foo += "0"; }

-oka
oka_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
doh

Thumbs up

That's great, thanks. It works brilliantly with all the numbers with decimal points in them - only it doesn't seem to make any distinctions between whole numbers and decimals. It displays £20 for £2, £10 for £1, and so on.

Any ideas on how to get around that? Thanks for the help so far.

Last edited by doh; 02-14-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
doh

OK, I've sorted something out - not entirely sure how it works, but it does (at least up to £99.00, anyhow.) Thought I'd put it up in case anyone else has a similar problem and needs a simple solution - some of the currency solutions I've seen are pretty complicated to me..!!

Code:
Number = myNumbr;
foo = String (Number);
if (foo.substring(foo.indexOf("."< 0) + 0, foo.length).length == 1)
{    
displaytxt.text = " " + myNumbr + ".00";
}
else if (foo.substring(foo.indexOf("."< 0) + 0, foo.length).length == 2)
{    
displaytxt.text = " " + myNumbr + ".00";
}

else if (foo.substring(foo.indexOf(".", 0) + 1, foo.length).length == 1)
{    
displaytxt.text = " " + myNumbr + "0";
}
If anyone can think of anything simpler/works over 100, let me know. All this is a bit beyond what I'm used to doing....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: