Home Tutorials Forums Articles Blogs Movies Library Employment Press
Old 02-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
siphon
arroz

Question loading random .swf from separate folders

I've reviewed this thread and found it very helpful.

I was wondering what the AS would look like if i had the .swf files in separate folders... For instance, I have 6 folders with 12 images in each and I want it to randomly pick one picture and load it out of one of those 4 folders.

So how would the action script look like for something like this?

Thank you
siphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
goliatone

ActionScript Code:
var folder=random(6);//made it to six folders, just make it 12 var file=random(6); folder_array=new Array("f0","f1","f2","f3","f4","f5");//put real folders' name file_array=new Array("file0.swf","file1.swf","file2.swf","file3.swf","file4.swf","file5.swf");//put real files' name var url=folder_array[folder]+"/"+file_array[file]; mc.loadMovie(url);
that would make the trick...
goliatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:14 AM   #3
glantucan
newbe forever!

Interesting
Is there any way to do it if you don't know th file names? and/or the number of them?

Always wanted to know this

Glantucan
glantucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:19 AM   #4
goliatone

uh, i guess that if the only weapon you have is flahs, you cant...you need to use a server side script to read a directory and pass it the info to flash. You could do something like that with php.

Basically, you would need to sendAndLoad a php script that reads a directory and generates an xml output or something.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:22 AM   #5
goliatone

no me habia dado cuenta de que eras de madrid!! me han dixo que el F.Perez se retira! jejejeje. Vivo en Bcn. Nos vemos por aqui.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #6
fugitive123
an ardent learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by siphon
I've reviewed this thread and found it very helpful.

I was wondering what the AS would look like if i had the .swf files in separate folders... For instance, I have 6 folders with 12 images in each and I want it to randomly pick one picture and load it out of one of those 4 folders.

So how would the action script look like for something like this?

Thank you
If you use standard prefix for the naming convention for your folders and images and fixed their numbers, then you don't have to store all of them in an array. You just use the numbering range to perform random pick. Say for example, 6 folders respectively named as "folder0","folder1","folder2","folder3","folder4", "folder5" and in each of the folder, the 12 images are named as "image0","image1"...."image2" respectively.

So all you have to do is to use Math.random() to pick a folder (0 to 5) first, then followed by the image (0 to 11). From this, you form the path to the jpg image.
fugitive123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
glantucan
newbe forever!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliatone
no me habia dado cuenta de que eras de madrid!! me han dixo que el F.Perez se retira! jejejeje. Vivo en Bcn. Nos vemos por aqui.
Jejeje, vaya sorpresa, ... Pues sí que nos veremos por aquí, porque vivo en Barcelona desde hace un año
Y del F.Perez, no sé nada porque el futbol no se cuenta entre mis pasiones. De hecho (que no se enteren mis amigos de madrid) me alegro bastante de que al Madrid le vaya mal. Acabe harto de que okuparan la Cibeles un montón de rapaos cada vez que ganaban
glantucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
siphon
arroz

Default gracias

gracias estoy feliz con todo, esta trabajando perfecto

Thnx this has really helped out
Old 02-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
siphon
arroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugitive123
If you use standard prefix for the naming convention for your folders and images and fixed their numbers, then you don't have to store all of them in an array. You just use the numbering range to perform random pick. Say for example, 6 folders respectively named as "folder0","folder1","folder2","folder3","folder4", "folder5" and in each of the folder, the 12 images are named as "image0","image1"...."image2" respectively.

So all you have to do is to use Math.random() to pick a folder (0 to 5) first, then followed by the image (0 to 11). From this, you form the path to the jpg image.
using the Math.random() if i have 4 folders and each have a diffrent ammount of images in them would the code have to say something like.. "if folder01 is picked then only select 0-12RN, if folder02 picked only select 0-22RN, etc.." if so .. how complicated would the code be ?

for right now i have it set up to select 1 of 4 random .swf files (each containing one of the 4 folders) which in turn will then generat another Math.random() for the coresponding number of images with in the folder... it just seems sloppy to me i would like it all in one code just one .swf file

Last edited by siphon; 02-28-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
goliatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by siphon
gracias estoy feliz con todo, esta trabajando perfecto

Thnx this has really helped out
...good

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: