So Josh, tell us about yourself...
The http://ActionScript.org Staff are Jesse Stratford and Evgueni Strok. The original founders of this site in 2000, Strok and Jesse live thousands of miles from each other and have never met in person...
A late comer to ActionScript.org, by relative measures, dr_zeus is nonetheless an important part of the Moderator team, offering great up-front support and behind-the scene moderation to keep the community alive.
From the staff, thanks Josh!
- Name and site nickname Josh Tynjala and dr_zeus
- Year of birth 1983
- How did you get into Flash? I first used Flash in my Capstone Project in college. We were developing prototypes for a local development company, and I was hired for part time work soon after.
- What Version of Flash do you use and why? ActionScript 3 is reason enough to target Flash 9. Thankfully, much of my work has been focused on developing components, and now is the perfect time to get into that market. I'm also a big fan of Flex 2+, so the version choice there is obvious.
- Coke or Pepsi? Coke, but I prefer Mountain Dew.
- What's an adjective that describes you personally? Quiet.
- Do you have a tertiary qualification? If so, in what? I spent four years in theater during high school and college, and I received an award for Achievement in Acting.
- On a scale of 1 - 10, how bad was the first thing you ever made in Flash? What metaphor or analogy would you use to describe it? With 1 being surprisingly good and 10 being absolutely horrible, I'd say it was a 4 or 5. My goals for the project were like trying to get the power of a jet engine out of a go-kart. Too bad Papervision3D didn't exist back then.
- PC or Mac? Both. After trying to switch to the Mac this year, I can't decide which I prefer. Each platform has its strengths and weaknesses.
- What's your first recollection of ActionScript.org - how did you find it, why, were you a guru or a newbie? Both. After trying to switch to the Mac this year, I can't decide which I prefer. Each platform has its strengths and weaknesses.
- What inspires you? Not just in work, but personally. I tend to stay on the technical side these days, but I've always been inspired by all forms of art, graphic design, and animation. If I didn't enjoy software development so much, I would have gone to school for something in that field. Flash is sort of my way of staying involved with both sides.
- What web browser do you use? Firefox.
- How would you describe ActionScript.org in three words? Changing, growing, living.
- Ever been on a fad diet? If so, which one, and how successful was it? Nope. If I want to lose weight, I simply try to eat less at every meal.
- What do you use to edit AS and why? Flex Builder mostly, but FlashDevelop is a good editor too. If I'm not doing any hardcore coding, I'll use InType for a quick edit or two.
- What subject did you hate most during school? Writing classes always seemed like they had too much busy work. I enjoy writing, and someday I hope to write a novel, but I felt confined by the requirements and repetition. Math classes that I had to take after Calculus were too theoretical and boring.
- Who do you think has influenced your Flash education most, in the whole wide world? I can't think of a person that stands out, but Adobe itself (and Macromedia before) has influenced me to continue exploring and trying new things as they include more and better features with each new version of Flash Player.
- Are you allergic to anything, or is there anything you really, really can't stand to eat? dislike your classic American meat and potatoes meals. In my free time, I like to cook, and over the last several months, my weekends have been spent exploring strong flavors, tasty marinades, and new things that I've never cooked before.
- What other programming languages do you know, and which have proven to be the most useful professionally? C# is a fun language. Other than curiosity, I haven't had much of an urge to check out Silverlight, but I'm glad I'll be able to use C# once I'm ready to play with it.
- If you were a fruit combined with an animal, what would you be and why? I'd be a strawberry wolf. No reason. Just seemed like a good choice
- Favourite Flash site at the moment? Why? http://halo3.com/believe/ - I love the feeling of exploration. I wish they would have taken it further!
- Favourite Flash site of all time? Why? There are so many to choose from. I honestly don't know.
- Favourite absolutely-no-flash website, why? http://www.Fark.com/
- What do you see as the next massive web-fad, frontier? If I knew, I'd be building it and preparing to become rich and famous. :) All I can say is that content is king, and it'll probably center around helping users find what they need faster and easier. Maybe the next step is to give the users information they didn't know they could use.
- Freelance or employed? Which do you prefer? Why? Employed by Yahoo!. I haven't tried freelance full time yet. Both have their advantages, and I hope to explore more as my career moves and changes with me.
- What search engine do you use? Google. Don't tell anyone.
- Ever read a book which really changed your life? Which book, how and why? No. Reading is great, though. Everyone should spend more time with some good fiction. It helps improve and sustain your grammar skills and it stimulates creativity.
- Which animal sound are you most proficient at making? (Please provide and MP3 if possible) I'm pretty good at monkey sounds. I can do a killer cow MOOOOOOO!
- Speak any other languages? I took three years of Spanish in high school. Sadly, I forgot most of it.
- Play any instruments? There's a guitar sitting next to my desk. I pick it up from time to time, but I never learned enough to truly say that I can play it.
- How many hours a week do you work? At my real job, 35 or so. Maybe 10 more on personal projects.
- How many do you wish you worked? About 25 would be perfect with 15 more for personal growth, exploration, learning and sharing.
- What's the most random thing any stranger has ever said to you that you recall offhand? "Hi, Josh"
- Can you cook? What's your best dish? Yes, I can. I make pretty good gyros and fajitas. My favorite steak is the one I season myself.
- What (if any) tips/suggestions would you have for starting/furthering a career in the Flash industry? Give yourself a very difficult project, and build it. Create something you wouldn't expect to see Flash Player do. Then blog about it. Inspiring others is a great way to inspire yourself.
It's weird to be recognized by someone I don't know.